Monday 25 November 2013

New Zealand Flying

After all, this is what I’m here for...

Track of my first flight!
Since my last update I have passed my differences and PPL Air Law exams and completed up to lesson FK006! So far I have learnt a lot in these six lessons from the effects of controls to climbing and descending and onto stalling. Next things on the agenda are some more stalling, circuits and then my first solo... exciting stuff!

We normally go in around 1.5-2 hours before our off blocks time and do some preparation for the flight including getting the weather forecast for the airport and the local area and completing the mass and balance and performance of the aircraft. We then have a briefing with our instructor, detailing what we will be covering throughout the lesson. Then it’s onto the preflight checks of the aircraft; checking the fuel and oil quantity, testing the fuel for water and sediment and a general walk around of the condition of the aircraft are just a few of the checks before flight can commence. Then it’s off to retrieve our instructor and get the flight underway.

So far it’s been quite overwhelming at times at the amount of things there are to remember to do with actually flying the aircraft, as well as adding in checklists to be completed and talking to ATC, however I have found it very enjoyable so far and I think most things will come with experience and practice! 

Flight FK006 track, circuits at Matamata top right
At this stage of the training, we perform all the before take-off checks and the actual take-off and departure. My instructor normally takes over at some point during the departure to fly to the training area. Most of the radio telephony is left up to us to control, which was quite nerve-racking at first but I am slowly easing into it. I have also completed a few landings so far, some of which have been better than others! On my last lesson we flew over to Matamata to practice some circuits and to get the approach and landing correct. Matamata is a small uncontrolled airfield around 15 minutes from Hamilton, it’s mainly used for gliding but it’s a lot quieter than Hamilton and the runway is about a mile wide so it’s perfect to practice some circuits.
Raglan from the air

Away from the flying we recently had a trip out to Raglan Beach for the day which is on the West coast about an hour from Hamilton. It’s well known as one of the best surf beaches in New Zealand, shame I can’t surf though! It was an excellent day out and it was absolutely boiling, it’s really weird having hot sunny weather at the end of November! On the way back we stopped off at Bridal Veil Waterfalls which were very impressive. On one of my lessons we actually flew over Raglan Beach which was amazing to see the sights from 2,500ft.















We also have been down the Waikato River a couple of times in inflatable dinghy's with a few beers, enjoying the sunshine. It's great fun and very relaxing! 

Floating down the river

I had the first of my PPL exams today, which is what I have to take as a result of failing my Mass and Balance ATPL before coming out here to New Zealand. It was Navigation and Flight Planning today and I’m pleased to say I passed it with 82%, 4 more PPL exams to go! Hopefully, we should be finished them by Christmas as we are doing one per week until then; and afterwards I can focus all my attention on my ATPL resit in February.

I’m flying tomorrow for lessons FK007 and FK008 which are Stalling 2 and Circuits 1… making quick progress!


Bye for now… 

No comments:

Post a Comment